The Groove Merchants formed in 2012 while attending Kutztown University of Pennsylvania and their musical chemistry was immediately apparent. Knowing they had stumbled into a sound that was unique, they decided to organize their efforts and book shows in the Lehigh Valley. Their music began to take form and develop its own identity by playing powerful live shows that left lasting impressions on audiences, often extending past the stage itself.
In December 2014, they recorded their debut album at the beautiful Music Centre Studios located in Chester Springs, PA run by renowned engineer Glenn Ferracone.
Adding a full-time trumpet and occasional horn section, The band has since released its second effort, titled “Take It,” in August of 2016 under the ‘ListeningPost’ label. "Take It" has been played on Philadelphia, West Chester, and Delaware FM radio, including a live performance of the record's single, "Hold Your Hand," on Philly’s Alternative Rock station 104.5FM. This performance led to the band's appearance at the iHeartRadio Summer Block Party opening for Vance Joy, Portugal. The Man, and Judah and The Lion at Philadelphia venue Festival Pier at Penn's Landing.
The Groove Merchants have played extensively throughout the East Coast at concert venues, clubs, outdoor events, and more.
The band has been experimenting with different musical approaches and continues to bring an exciting, high-energy, organic performance to their audiences.
Tye Vallone: Guitar/Vocals/Percussion
Luke Ferracone: Guitar
John Evin Groome: Bass Guitar
Anthony Guidotti: Drums/Percussion
Dylan Hinnershitz: Trumpet
The independent music blog, Lehigh Valley Underground, recently reviewed The Groove Merchants debut self titled album stating:
- “One thing a music lover will notice about The Groove Merchants is their prowess as musicians. They are seasoned beyond their years, and are only getting better with the recent addition of trumpeter Dylan Hinnershitz.”
- “Uhuru” is a slow-building jam that knocks on the door before kicking it down about five and a half minutes in, bringing the song and album to a climax with an exhilarating wall of sound…
- “The Groove Merchants’ first effort is as solid an opening statement as you’ll find from a young band. The excitement to see where they go from here is palpable.”
Read more here...
Lehigh Valley Underground wrote:
- “A big sound, funky rhythms, and stellar musicianship have become The Groove Merchants’ trademark.”
Read more here...
Review of the track "Take It" from West Chester, PA WCHE Radio Host, Tom Wang:
- “…They play with a raw ferocity that stems from that youth. In an age where most bands seem pliant in their approach to making music, GM does not play it safe…The Groove Merchants seem limitless with what they can provide musically. They are indeed, getting it done.”
Philadelphia Weekly wrote the following:
- “The Groove Merchants: Philly funk quintet steadily grooving a path into playlists all over the country”
- “While the bill touted the likes of Portugal. The Man and Vance Joy, it was Groove Merchants, a five-member funk blues band that recently owned the stage at the Radio 104.5-FM Summer Block Party earlier this month.”
Read more here...
Also check out Lehigh Valley Underground's interview with our guitarist, Luke, here!
The Groove merchants - take it (2016)
1. Take It If You Want It
3. Hold Your Hand
4. John the Savage
5. The Ride
6. Of the Woods
9. Smoke and Mirrors
10. Quit It
11. Walking Shoes
the Groove Merchants - THe Groove Merchants (2015)
1. John the Savage
3. Modern Days
5. Smoke and Mirrors
6. Princess Please